Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sweet Round Bread


This is the slightly sweet round bread I baked last night. I'm putting down the recipe because I'm very bad at keeping notes and sometimes links to internet sources tend to be unreliable. On several occasions these days I tried to follow links I've saved only to find that the authors have removed the contents I've been looking for. The dough is based on this recipe here.

 Ingredients:
  • 10 g fresh yeast
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup of oil
  • 1/2 cup of warm water
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 egg + 1 egg white (1 yolk + tsp milk for the glazing)
  • 4 1/2 cups of flour

Mix the milk and the warm water. In a small  bowl mix the yeast with 4-5 tablespoons of the diluted milk, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of flour. Leave the starter to rise for 20 min. Meanwhile in a big bowl sift the flour, add the eggs, the sugar, oil, salt and milk + water. Add the starter. Knead the dough.


Leave it for an hour to double its volume. I put it in the oven at 50C. Knead the dough again. This time I used a different method for kneading - picking the ball of the dough and throwing it to the table for 100 times (I counted :))). Cut it into three equal balls and spread the balls flat. Place the flat circles on top of each other and cut into eight pieces some 2-3 cm from the center of the circle. Cut each piece into three and braid. Leave for about 30-40 min to rise again. Thus there are three risings of the dough which makes it very fine and thready.


Glaze, sprinkle with sesame seeds and place in a preheated oven at 180 C. Bake until the crust turns golden brown. (Do as I say and not as I do :)) - I got distracted and overbaked mine a bit.)



This sweet bread is perfect with honey, but the boys tried it with white cheese and claim that it's as equally delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Как аппетитно! Отличная идея для оформления, возьму на вооружение!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy. The inside looks so fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that bread looks delicious. I don't think it looks over baked at all. I would love to have a go at it but a) I don't know where to find "live yeast" and b) I would eat it all myself ;0)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for a) you can use any kind of active - dry or fresh yeast. Probably the right term is fresh yeast, I'll correct it. As for b) ... :)))

      Delete