Monday, October 19, 2015

Wildflower Cardigan

Finally I sewed the pockets and the sleeves of the Wildflower Cardigan today, attached the buttons and weaved in all ends. It's ready for wear! But since the weather is too cold and even colder weather is forecasted I'm not sure when Gaby will put it on. I started the cardigan in the summer with the idea to have it ready for the beginning of the school year, but it took me much longer to finish it and warm autumn was really short this year. So probably - next spring. Anyway I hope to have a modelled photosession of it soon.
Pattern: Wildflower Cardigan by by Alana Dakos
Yarn: Alize Cashmira Fine, 200g,  hand dyed
Needle: 2.5 mm, 3 mm
Time to knit: almost two months


I didn't make any major modifications to the design, I only made it fully buttoned. However I made my own calculations for every piece of the garment, as my gauge was 22 sts and 30 rows compared to the required 28 sts and 34 rows for a 10 cm sample square and I couldn't go down the size as I needed the smallest size for my daughter. In the case of the pockets I think my gauge deviation even worked to my advantage, as the pockets, knitted to the original gauge seem a bit small for the garment, especially in the larger sizes, while mine came out pleasantly proportionate to the width of the fronts.


From the inside I sewed the lining of the pockets, following the two-stitch curved outline of the front pocket. Thus there is no shadow pocket viewed from the outside.


All of the pieces are sewed with mattress stitch,
including the connection of the sleeves to the body:

I wanted to have the sleeves as long as I can squeeze from the 200 g I had, so first I finished the body completely, neckbands and button bands and then cast on the two sleeves. The knitting included quite a lot of simple mathematics - I counted the number of stitches 1 gram of yarn yielded and then calculated the number of stitches for each sleeve. After sewing the sleeves, the pockets and the buttons this is all of the yarn I was left with!!! Success! 

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely cardigan, I especially love the colour and how it looks blue and purple. You are very clever go end up with such a small amount of yarn! (Long time reader, first time commenter, www.annatestadoro.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely cardigan, I especially love the colour and how it looks blue and purple. You are very clever go end up with such a small amount of yarn! (Long time reader, first time commenter, www.annatestadoro.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous FO, Carmela! You chose amazing yarn - this color looks so rich and deep. Looking forward to modeled shots, I am sure it will look even more stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Какая прелесть!!!Какие карманы классные!!!

    ReplyDelete