Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Under The Biscuit Roof

Every February 14th there's a noisy discussion in Bulgaria if we should celebrate St. Valentine's Day or  St. Tryphon's Day - a traditional holiday, celebrating wine and its production. As far as holidays go my credo has always been the more the merrier :) So husband and I honor both holidays with flowers, a bottle of good wine, a good dinner with candles and the obligatory cake - both of us have such a sweet tooth (alas?!).


My Valentine's cake this year - the popular Biscuit Roof, which I'm making for the first time. I bought a packet of combined cocoa and vanilla biscuits of good quality, but a bit small in size for this dessert, so my roof form didn't come as neat as I hoped. My cream is my own idea, there are versions with butter, cream cheese and various other options.
So, the products for this super easy and interesting dessert:
  • 1 pack of cocoa biscuits (15 pcs)
  • 1 pack of vanilla biscuits (15 pcs)
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 250 g ricotta
  • 200 g sour cream
  • 100 g powdered sugar 
  • 2 bananas

Mix the ricotta and the sour cream and add the powdered sugar. Cover the working plot with stretch foil. Soak the biscuits slightly in the warmed milk and arrange in a checkered form 3 x 5. Cover with 1/3 of the cream.

Arrange the second checkered layer of  biscuits, spread the rest of the cream,place two average bananas upon the central row of biscuits, optional - add nuts, raisins, jam (I used homemade strawberry jam).

With the help of the stretch foil gather the biscuits to form a triangular prism and place in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Cover with chocolate spread or melted chocolate and serve. The dessert is very light, creamy and tasty, I'll be doing it again soon with bigger biscuits (or smaller bananas) :)

And a sneak-peek or rather a full frontal of my first attempt at tulle petticoat. So far so good, but the 50 cm of tulle I had bought only sufficed for half of the petticoat - one layer is not sturdy enough so I'll be buying another piece of tulle to repeat the exercise and finish it properly to get a decent double layered petticoat for Gaby's 50s style Lindy Bop dress.


2 comments:

  1. I love her dress! How fun it'll be with a full tulle skirt underneath. What an interesting dessert. Our Valentine's Day dessert was trying out a local pie place that had a sturdy crust and crumble on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks way too good :) It's a dangerous thing to have it in the fridge though - I would go back and forth all day long :)

    ReplyDelete