Monday, October 9, 2017

FO: Panna Frost Flower Lace Shawl


This is the first of a series of small projects I've planned to use up remains of yarns I love. I planned this shawl even before I had finished the Milky Mist cardigan, as it was obvious to me that I would have plenty of yarn left - 100 g of fingering weight yarn. I loved the lacy texture of the cardigan and I imagined a shawl similar to it would be just fitting the remaining yarn.


Panna Frost Flower Lace Shawl is a free pattern by Foldi knit and it was originally designed for machine knitting (I had no idea machines could knit so complicated lace), but she has later provided a chart for hand knitting as well. The lace part is not for the faint of heart :) - you do the YO and the decreases both on the right and the wrong side and the continuity of the pattern is not that obvious as you knit, so mistakes are quite possible - not a tv knit!


As I didn't have much yarn, I opted for a narrower and shorter version of the shall. I used the central part of the chart, starting from stitch 20 to stitch 87 + 3 sts garter stitches on each side, a total of 74 sts.Thus my shall has 4 instead of 6 triangular points at the ends.


I did 2 and 1/2 repeats of section II, 18 rows of section III A, 16 rows of section III B, 14 rows of section III C and 10 rows of section III D and I had yarn enough for a total of 43 rows of stockinette st. (28 rows for part 1 and I ran out of yarn at 15 rows of part 2).


The shall is knitted in two parts, starting from the frost flowers to the stockinette stitch part and then the two parts are grafted. I'm really pleased with my grafting :)


The final blocked size of the shawl is 170 cm (67") long and 37 cm (14.5") wide:

Pattern: Panna Frost Flower Lace Shawl
Yarns: Zegna Baruffa, Myfil 140700, 100% Merino, 34 g, 1 thread
Zegna Baruffa, Myfil 140754, 100% Merino, 34 g, 1 thread
Lora & Festa, Jolly 217, 10% cashmere, 20% silk, 70% merino extrafine, 32 g, 2 threads
Needles: 4.5 mm
Time to knit: 11 days



1 comment:

  1. This is such a pretty color and it's great how you were able to use leftover yarn to make this scarf. I like those running columns of lace.
    Yes, I thought it was clever to have a long tube for a sock WIP. Next time I'd like to try knitting the gusset heel for each sock so I'll have one less thing to do.

    ReplyDelete